Anova is looking for a Senior Technical Advisor M&E to lead Anova’s data collection efforts by providing guidance and tools to ensure that quality data are collected and reported in an efficient and effective manner. The Advisor will guide and mentor Anova M&E staff and liaise with DoH counterparts to improve information management oversight, driving continuous quality improvement within data management for reporting.
The Senior Technical Advisor M&E will provide technical guidance on the design, development and implementation of the Anova M&E plan, build capacity at all program levels to develop, manage and operationalize M&E systems and plans that are aligned to program strategy, to allow for quality reporting and dissemination. The Senior Technical Advisor M&E will provide guidance and tools to ensure high quality and accurate data are collected for analysis and reporting purposes; assist in monitoring and reporting against Anova projects’ performance indicators, key outputs and results; develop methods and milestones to monitor the project’s progress towards its goals, and; contribute to program strategy to ensure that activities and assignments are carried out as planned and the program objectives are being achieved.
Key duties and Responsibilities
- Quality Data Collection and Tools
- Define data collection methods and sources for each program indicator.
- Define a data collection schedule in accordance with program management need.
- Ensure that data flow and internal reporting requirements are defined, and clear guidelines, SOPs and other tools are in place for data collection, aggregation and reporting.
- Standardize paper tools, electronic systems (DOH & Program) and SOPs to ensure they are harmonized across all sites for data collection, processing and analysis.
- Ensure data sources collect the required information to the agreed minimum quality standards.
- Data Quality Assurance
- Ensure appropriate data quality assurance systems, measures and tools are in place and are monitored at all levels.
- Identify shortcomings in the processes and remedy these by developing protocols to ensure regular, accurate data collection and reporting and continually improve them for efficiency.
- Monitor adherence to reporting timelines as well as quality of data submitted.
- Work closely with the Public Health and Data /Reporting Teams to ensure that all program data are reported according to the required quality standards and timelines
- Capacity Building
- Build capacity and provide supportive supervision for Anova and DOH M&E staff on data collection and management, reporting processes, systematic use of defined tools and M&E.
- Develop training curricula and provide training for M&E staff
- Develop tools that support data use within programs.
- Build capacity of the programme teams to use data in a strategic manner to inform programme decision making.
- Report regularly to senior management on data collection and quality, adherence to standards and timelines, and on reports, processes and systems.
- Manage and supervise a support team.
- Mentor Programme M&E teams
- Support M&E teams to set performance objectives and provide mentoring and coaching.
- Hold regular meetings with the M&E managers to ensure alignment across the programme.
- Creating a cohesive team environment through fostering open communication and providing constructive feedback.
- Conduct visits to field sites to provide training, technical assistance, and support, as well as to ensure that M&E tools are understood and being implemented effectively.
- Identify professional development opportunities for M&E staff focusing
- Supervise any team of technical experts and/or consultants when on board.
Essential qualifications and experience
- A Master’s degree in management, monitoring and evaluation, analytics or a related field is required
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible work experience in designing, establishing, and managing monitoring and evaluation systems, ensuring data quality, and managing data-intensive, performance-based programmes, preferably large-scale PEPFAR-funded programmes
- Minimum of six years’ experience focused on operationalizing performance indicators and, preferably, working within/extracting data from DATIM, TIER.Net, PHCIS, etc.
- Experience in leading and motivating a technical team composed of several interdisciplinary technical experts, and to be adept at managing competing deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work across business units and capture and disseminate lessons learned to ensure the continual improvement of data collection processes and outputs
- Ability to portray complex data sets in easy-to-understand formats including visualizations
- Working knowledge of South Africa’s health information systems and monitoring and evaluation processes as they relate to data collection for performance-based reporting on the NSP
- Well-organized with an ability to handle a large workload, deliver on short deadlines and work independently.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English
Please specify the above reference number on the subject line of your email for a quicker response.
Submit your CV and application letter to Gontse Simelane at email@example.com
Closing date: 15 July 2020