This an AA/EE position
Anova is an NGO that empowers people and changes lives. Good health and quality of life is what motivates us to provide healthcare solutions and support for those who need it most.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for management of all aspects of operations from business systems to new business development, marketing, and Anova’s IT infrastructure. The COO is responsible for the organisational development aspects of Anova, managing the Human Resources function, and the implementation and review of organisational policies and procedures that shape and support the culture of Anova.
This wide role supports the Chief Executive Officer in the implementation of Anova’s strategy and represents the organisation in various for and in front of various stakeholders.
Key duties and Responsibilities
- Strategy Development and Implementation
- Develop and oversees the implementation of business strategies.
- Attend meetings of the Board and its committees and present the information necessary to the Board and its sub-committees.
- Assess and manage the principal risks of the organisation.
- Monitor all legal issues involving Anova, and legal issues affecting the environment in which Anova operates.
- Management of Operations
- Ensure the development of annual operational plans that support programme implementation and provide effective implementation structures for their delivery.
- Develop and maintain efficient and effective internal systems, including appropriate organisational and performance monitoring systems, reporting and record keeping systems.
- Organisational Development
- Support and implement Anova’s transformation strategy in order to create a diverse and well-functioning workforce.
- Lead the development and evolution of the organisation through improving the effectiveness and efficiency of operational processes both internally and externally and finds ways to improve these.
- Be the custodian of all organisational policies and procedures, developing new ones, and adapting and improving existing ones.
- Set up annual goals (short and long term) for Anova and all its operational departments, aligned to strategic plans and objectives.
- Ensure provision of best practices and maintain high quality standards throughout the organisation and its operations.
- Programmes and Business Development
- Support the development of new programmes as the need arises ensuring all operational aspects of new programme are considered and aligned with actual need.
- Ensure effective and timely communication, resolution of issues and project development.
- Develop and implement sustainable growth strategies, aimed at ensuring the long-term viability of Anova.
- Operational leadership
- Provide leadership and direction to Operations Departments in line with company strategy.
- Act as the line manager to various senior managers for the following functions: Human Resources, Marketing, New Business Development, IT, Business Operations (Procurement, Facilities, Travel, Fleet, Legal), and any other individual as agreed with the CEO.
- Ensure each department is operated efficiently and with productive resources.
- Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in the critical positions within each department.
- Financial Responsibility and Management
- Support the CFO in ensuring that Anova’s financial controls and systems comply with generally accepted accounting practices that meet donor standards.
- Ensure expenditure and disbursement of resources are in accordance with established operational budgets and procedures and maintain the financial and legal integrity of Anova.
- Authorize and approve all expenditure as per approved policies and procedures.
- Human Resources
- Lead the HR strategy to build and sustain a skilled, motivated team to reach the objectives of the organisation.
- Work with the Executive HR Manager to facilitate the effective and professional management of staff in the organisation.
- Oversee and guide the HR functions within the organisation to ensure the implementation of sound HR Practices, including recruitment, remuneration, performance management and talent development.
- Oversee and guide the Marketing functions within the organisation to ensure the messages and materials produced represent Anova and its funders adequately.
- Ensure the Marketing team has enough resources to work adequately across the different platforms and social networks to reach target audiences.
- Information Technology
- Provide guidance and oversight to the IT team in terms of organisational needs and resource availability to maximise the use of IT assets.
- Ensure IT adherence to industry best practices to ensure Anova’s information is secure and that mechanisms are in place to prevent loss of data and downtime of systems that can affect other parts of the organisation.
- Leadership and Team Development
- Foster a culture of transparency and accountability in the Business and Operations teams.
- Strengthen and develop staff by determining accountabilities, communicating and enforcing values, policies and procedures.
- Implement strong processes along the employment cycle (recruitment, selection, orientation, training, coaching, counselling, disciplinary, appraisals, etc.) that contribute to building, developing, and retaining a qualified team of business and operations professionals.
- Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in critical positions.
- Governance and Stewardship
- Ensure compliance with statutory and contractual obligations.
- Ensure all activities and operations are performed in compliance with local statutory regulations and in line with global guidelines.
- Ensure that the appropriate reports and budgets are prepared for various meetings.
- Represent Anova at forums, platforms and institutions as needed.
Any other tasks as agreed with the Chief Executive Officer.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Strategic senior manager with demonstrated ability to lead the operations of an organisation implementing large complex multi-stakeholder programmes.
- Proven ability to work as a team member within multi-disciplinary teams and excellent networking and liaison skills.
- Advanced degree in Business Management or related field.
- At least 12 years’ experience at executive and operational management level.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
Advantageous experience and skills
- An understanding of health, and partnership with government and government protocols.
- Combination of strong grant management, human resource, project management, report writing, and financial skills.
- Skills in fundraising coupled with knowledge of big donor processes and reporting requirements.
- Sound knowledge of one or other official South African language.
For any queries, please email Gontse Simelane at email@example.com
To submit your CV and application letter, please email Gontse Simelane at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is identified. Early application is therefore highly recommended.
Please specify the above position and reference number on the subject line for a quicker response.