Johannesburg - Permanent
The Business Manager is responsible for leading and managing support aspects of the business including Procurement, Travel, Fleet, Facilities and Legal, to ensure efficient and effective business operations. The incumbent will support the office of the COO (to whom they will report) and other business units as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Business Support Operations & Staff Management
- Ensure that Business Departments are efficient and effectively run to support the delivery of Anova’s programmes and business objectives.
- Ensure Business Department teams are adequately staffed and managed effectively to achieve results and objectives.
- Ensure that external providers are reviewed periodically for cost effectiveness and service offer.
- Provide support to the programmes working in DoH or other partner facilities to ensure good health and safety practices.
- Oversee business departments and ensure they are effectively managed.
- Manage any shared service department staff.
- Ensure staff training requirements and implementation of staff development processes.
- Procurement & Insurance
- Ensure the Procurement Department is efficiently managed and supports business in a timely fashion.
- Ensure all procurement policies and procedures follow best practice and are compliant in terms of donor requirements.
- Ensure procurement is in line with BBBEE scorecard requirements to obtain maximum procurement verification points.
- Ensure procurement is competitive to ensure cost effectiveness and best possible commercial terms are negotiated from all suppliers to optimise supplier spend.
- Ensure preferred supplier listing is maintained for all material purchases of the company.
- Maintain insurance schedules to ensure that all assets of the company are properly safeguarded.
- Ensure annual insurance renewals are effected in order for all insured risks to be adequately covered.
- Facilities, Leases and Contract Management
- Ensure all facilities are effectively managed and reflect Anova’s image.
- Ensure all facilities are maintained in a clean, safe and secure state in terms of Occupational Health and Safety regulations and any other legal requirements.
- Ensure all facilities are compliant to all Anova’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure that good relations are maintained with landlords.
- Negotiate operating leases with external service providers, such as for high-volume printers, short- and long-term vehicle rentals, etc.
- Negotiate property lease terms and conditions.
- Negotiate contractual terms and conditions with external providers in line with donor requirements and aligned to fund periods.
- Review all leases and contracts to ensure Anova’s best interests prevail in rapidly changing operational environments.
- Travel, Meetings & Fleet Management
- Ensure that travel management SOP is kept current and is in line with Anova and donor requirements.
- Oversee relationship with outsourced travel agent.
- Ensure that all travel-related spend, including transport and accommodation, meets all donor requirements.
- Ensure all meetings are in line with programme/donor requirements.
- Ensure that Anova’s fleet is effectively and efficiently managed, and all vehicles are well maintained and timely serviced to ensure safety of staff.
- Effective and timely management of recoveries on all costs incurred by the company due to the negligence by employees. Includes fine management, insurance claims etc.
- Implement and maintain weekly and monthly vehicle monitoring procedures to ensure responsible and adequate fleet usage, including reports of excessive speed, negligent driving and vehicle abuse for programme managers to follow up and manage with drivers.
- Legal & BBBEE aspects
- Ensure all contracts, agreements and similar documentation are reviewed and are in line with donor requirements and SA law.
- Provide guidance on the acceptable assumptions of legal risk in all business operations.
- Ensure that all operations comply with legal requirements in all countries where Anova operates.
- Provide the business with legal guidance and engage external legal practitioners as needed.
- Ensure that the organisation’s BBBEE verification is complete on an annual basis.
- Propose improvements to be implemented to improve the BBBEE verification score to enable the company to optimise future business opportunities.
- Any other tasks as agreed with line manager.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Skills Required
- B.Com, business administration degree or equivalent qualification.
- 10 years’ progressive experience in a business management role.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in overseeing or managing relevant business areas (procurement, fleet, facilities, travel and legal).
- Excellent knowledge of procurement best practice principles.
- Relevant knowledge and experience in managing legal contracts/agreements/leases.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English (proficiency in other official languages preferred).
Advantageous Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- MBA or LLB.
- Fleet management systems.
- Understanding of BBBEE codes and legislation.
Please specify the above reference number on the subject line of your email for a quicker response. Good luck!
Submit your CV and application letter to Gontse Simelane at email@example.com
Closing date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is identified. Early application is therefore highly recommended.
Unsolicited CVs from agencies will not be paid agency fees should their candidate be placed at Anova.