Johannesburg – Permanent
We are looking a Technical Advisor: Capacity Development M&E to lead the continuous capacity building and development of Anova’s M&E staff. As systems and tools change, there is an increasing need to train M&E staff on their use, thus ensuring that quality data are collected, and reported in an efficient and effective manner.
The Technical Advisor: Capacity Development M&E will create and implement a capacity development strategy that improves information management oversight, driving continuous quality improvement within data collection and management for accurate and timeous reporting. The Technical Advisor will implement the strategy through training that addresses knowledge and skill gaps among Anova staff, as well as Department of Health (DOH) counterparts when required.
In collaboration with other advisors and managers, the Technical Advisor: Capacity Development M&E will provide technical guidance on the design, development and implementation of the Anova M&E plan, and will build capacity at all program levels to develop, manage and operationalize M&E systems and plans that are aligned to program strategy, to allow for quality reporting and dissemination.
Key duties and Responsibilities
- Capacity Development Strategy Development and Implementation
- Working with Programme and HR managers, assess knowledge and skills of M&E teams.
- Develop and implement a capacity development strategy that addresses gaps based on assessment.
- Design or adapt capacity development tools, systems, and assessment methodologies for implementation across Anova that are cost effective and efficient.
- Conduct periodic review/mapping of the technical and organisational strengths/assets that exist among districts so that best practices and expertise can be exchanged and maximised.
- Capacity Building and Development
- Build capacity and provide supportive supervision for Anova and DOH M&E staff on data collection and management, reporting processes, systematic use of defined tools and M&E.
- Develop training curricula and provide training for M&E staff.
- Develop training materials and conduct dynamic development trainings customised to the various needs of teams and DOH counterparts.
- Develop tools that support data use within programs.
- Lead implementation of innovative capacity development interventions and reporting formats.
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on the impact of capacity development interventions, exploring ways to deepen understanding of the degree to which interventions lead to enhanced HIV and TB service delivery and programme goals.
- Document effective capacity development approaches, methodologies and activities for sharing as best practices within Anova and externally.
- Build capacity of the programme teams to use data in a strategic manner to inform programme decision making.
- Report regularly to senior management on data collection and quality, adherence to standards and timelines, and on reports, processes and systems.
- Mentor Programme M&E teams
- Support M&E teams to set performance objectives and provide mentoring and coaching.
- Hold regular meetings with the M&E managers to ensure alignment across the programme.
- Creating a cohesive team environment through fostering open communication and providing constructive feedback.
- Conduct visits to field sites to provide training, technical assistance, and support, as well as to ensure that M&E tools are understood and being implemented effectively.
- Identify professional development opportunities for M&E staff focusing on knowledge and skills related to monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- As needed, supervise any technical experts and/or consultants who are contributing to capacity development objectives and activities.
Any other tasks as agreed with line manager.
Qualifications and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, management, public health or a related field is required (Master’s degree preferred).
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in designing, establishing, and managing performance-based M&E programmes, preferably large-scale PEPFAR-funded programmes.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in successful organisational development capacity development of civil society organisations in Africa.
- Working knowledge of South Africa’s health information systems and monitoring and evaluation processes as they relate to data collection for performance-based reporting on the NSP is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work across business units and capture and disseminate lessons learned to ensure the continual improvement of data collection processes and outputs.
- Well-organized with an ability to handle a large workload, deliver on short deadlines and work independently.
- Strong communication skills to be able to translate knowledge and train adult learners.
- Experience in the latest technology tools used in training to be able to train virtually and at the site level, as needed.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English (proficiency in other official languages preferred).
Please specify the above reference number on the subject line of your email for a quicker response. Good luck!
Submit your CV and application letter to Gontse Simelane at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is identified. Early application is therefore highly recommended.